This dental practice complies with the Data Protection Act (1998) and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018. This means that we will ensure that your information is processed fairly and lawfully.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE NEED TO HOLD?
- Past & current medical & dental history, personal information such as address, phone numbers, age & name of your GP.
- Details of your exemption status if applicable.
- X-rays, clinical photographs & study models.
- Treatment plans & correspondence regarding treatment we have provided or proposed plus its costs.
- Notes of conversations or incidents that might occur for which a record needs to be kept.
- Consent of treatment.
- Any correspondence relating to you with other health care professionals ie: hospitals or community services.
WHY DO WE HOLD THIS INFORMATION?
We keep accurate personal data in order to provide you with safe & appropriate dental care.
We will retain your dental records, study models & X-rays while you are a patient of this practice & for eleven years or until the age of 25yrs (whichever is longer) once you cease to be a patient.
We hold your information in the our computer system or in a secure manual filing system. Information is only accessible to authorised personnel. Information will not be removed for the practice with the patients consent. Personal information is carefully protected & all access is held securely and passwords are changed regularly. Data is encrypted & computers are closed if unattended.
TIMES WE MAY NEED TO DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
In order to provide proper & safe dental care to:
- ** Your GP
- **Hospital or Community dental service
- ** Other health professionals caring for you
- ** Inland Revenue
- ** Private dental schemes of which you’re a member
- ** Benefits Agency (where you are claiming exemption or remission from NHS charges)
We will only release information on a need-to-know basis & only to those individuals/organisations who need to know, in order to provide care for you & for the proper administration of government. Only information that the recipient needs to know will be disclosed.
In very limited circumstances or when required by law or a court order, personal data may have to be disclosed to a third party not connected with your health care. In all other situations disclosure is not covered by this disclosure & will only occur with your consent. Where possible you will be informed of any requests for disclosure.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE
If you do not wish us to use your information, you should discuss the matter with your dentist or the practice manager. If you object to the way we collect & use the information, we may not be able to continue to provide your dental care.
If you have any concerns about how we use the information & your do not feel able to discuss it with your dentist or the practice manager, you should contact The Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF Tel: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745.
Review date: 18/05/2019